Can CBD Oil Help You Sleep Better?
Science seems to say, YES. A review of CBD for sleep research published in 2017 concluded that CBD may have therapeutic potential for the treatment of insomnia. It also found CBD to be promising in the treatment of REM sleep behavior disorder and excessive daytime fatigue.
A 2019 paper also found evidence to support CBD for sleep. Studies have indicated that CBD can improve sleep quality, decrease sleep disturbances, and help facilitate sleep onset in those struggling to fall asleep.
CBD’s potential positive effects on sleep quality and behavior are not surprising, since CBD is being studied to help potentially alleviate symptoms and conditions that often contribute to sleep issues, like pain and anxiety.
Additionally, researchers have recently begun to study CBD’s effects on specific sleep disorders, and the results are looking promising. While more research is needed to confirm the results of these initial findings, CBD’s good safety profile makes it an attractive option for those suffering from sleep disorders who have yet to find a successful treatment.
Here are some potential ways the best CBD oil may be used to help find your best sleep.
Insomnia Due to Pain
Pain due to a variety of reasons could be what’s keeping you up at night. CBD is actively being studied for its ability to fight pain and inflammation. Combating these two sleep disrupters can you get you on track to restful sleep.
If you’re experiencing insomnia due to pain from arthritis, cancer, sore muscles, injury, or any other condition, CBD oil may be able help address the underlying issues causing you to lose sleep and help you get the rest you need to heal.
Insomnia Due to Anxiety
CBD oil is also commonly touted for its calming, soothing, and anxiety-reducing properties. If you’re being kept up by ruminating thoughts, feelings of worry and dread, tension in your body, or any other symptom of anxiety, the best CBD oil for sleep may be able to help.
REM Sleep Behavior Disorder
The REM stage accounts for around 20% of our sleeping time. REM sleep is vital to our brain’s ability to organize memories and heal while we sleep, and it’s also when most of our dreams occur.
During REM sleep, it’s normal for our muscles to become paralyzed to prevent us from moving too much in our sleep. REM sleep behavior disorder causes a full or partial loss of this paralysis, causing people to walk, talk, and act out their dreams while fully asleep, potentially putting themselves in harm’s way without knowing it.
A case study found CBD to be effective at reducing the symptoms of REM sleep behavior disorder, without producing any adverse effects. The subjects were patients with Parkinson’s disease, to which REM sleep behavior disorder is often linked.
Restless Leg Syndrome
Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) is characterized by the uncontrollable urge to move one’s legs. Uncomfortable sensations in the legs usually appear at rest or while lying down, and can significantly impair a person’s ability to sleep.
While very little research exists on this topic, one case study found that CBD may be able to relieve RLS symptoms. One participant out of the group of six was relieved of symptoms almost immediately after consuming CBD, and the other five saw complete relief after using cannabis containing both CBD and THC.
Fatigue During Waking Hours
If you experience excessive sleepiness during the day and an inability to sleep at night, this could be a sign that your circadian rhythms are out of balance.
A study found CBD to promote wakefulness during the day, but it did not have the same effects at night. CBD is known to impact the body’s endocannabinoid system, which is responsible for maintaining homeostasis throughout the body. This could explain its ability to contribute to balanced sleep and wake rhythms.
The potential for CBD to assist the body’s natural biorhythm regulation means that it can help individuals heal from insomnia over time, rather than simply masking its symptoms.
Finding The Best CBD Oil for Sleep
How much should I take?
The recommended amount of the best CBD oil for sleep will depend on a number of factors, including your weight, the cause of your insomnia, and the severity of your symptoms.
While no consensus on dosing CBD for sleep has been established, one study found success by giving participants 25mg of CBD in the evening.
We recommend starting with a low amount of CBD, around 8-12 mg per day, and gradually increasing the amount until your insomnia symptoms improve or disappear. This reduces the risk of experiencing undesirable effects.
While taking CBD a few hours before bedtime is best to promote healthy sleep, CBD can also be taken during the day to promote wakefulness and contribute to a healthy circadian rhythm.
Combine with Good Sleep Habits
While the best CBD oil for sleep could potentially put an end to your sleepless nights, combining CBD use with good sleep habits can make the treatment significantly more effective. Some of these guidelines may be hard to follow, but they can make a huge difference in the quality of your sleep.
- Go to bed and wake up around the same time every day. This includes weekends and vacations.
- Keep your bedroom quiet and dark, and free of anything that could disrupt your sleep.
- Keep the temperature of your room in the low to mid 60’s while you sleep. Lowering your body temperature with a cold shower before bed can also help.
- If possible, avoid looking at screens right before bedtime. If you can’t avoid it, try using a blue light blocking plug-in.
- Devote your bed to sleep. Avoid reading, snacking, internet surfing, and working in bed. That way, getting into bed at night will signal to your brain that it’s time to sleep.
- Do something to relax your body before bed. Your bedtime routine can include yoga, meditation, reading, journaling, and general self-care.
Best CBD Oil for Sleep: Risks?
CBD is a natural supplement, and most people don’t experience adverse effects while taking it on its own. Combining CBD with other drugs including sleeping pills and some anti-anxiety medications, however, can cause unwanted effects. Speak with your doctor before you start using CBD oil for sleep to avoid any possible drug-drug interactions.
The most commonly experienced side effect of using best CBD oil for sleep is daytime drowsiness, which can typically be resolved by lowering the dosage. Other mild side effects may occur when the amount taken is too high, but no serious or life-threatening effects of CBD have ever been reported.
How Does CBD Oil for Sleep Compare to Other Treatments?
- Is far less likely to cause dependence or addiction.
- Tends not to produce tolerance or lose effectiveness over time.
- Poses a far lower risk of dangerous long-term effects
- Can promote both falling asleep and staying asleep, whereas sleeping pills only help with the former.
- Can help with the underlying cause of insomnia, including pain, anxiety, and some sleep disorders.
- Won’t cause drowsiness or grogginess during the day when taken at the correct dose.
Best CBD Oil for Sleep: What to Look For
Since every CBD oil on the market is different, some will be better than others for sleep. Looking for the following features during your search can help you find the best CBD oil for sleep:
- Clean, minimal ingredients – Free of ingredients that can be stimulating such as sugars, certain flavors, and additives, and free of potentially harmful ingredients like soy, GMO’s, and non-organic compounds.
- Cleanly extracted CBD – Avoiding CBD that has been extracted using harsh solvents ensures that no harmful chemicals will be left in the product.
- Full spectrum CBD oil – Research shows that full spectrum CBD-rich hemp extracts containing a variety of cannabinoids, terpenes, and flavonoids are more effective than isolated CBD.
- Third-party lab tested – This ensures that the CBD actually contains what it says on the label.
Best CBD Oil for Sleep: Our Choice
Altura Wellness CBD oils contain two clean and simple ingredients: CBD rich full spectrum hemp oil and MCT coconut oil. Altura uses thermal extraction, a unique process that never exposes the CBD oil to harsh solvents or anything that could degrade its potency. All Altura products are inspected by multiple third-party labs, making them a trustworthy choice for anyone looking for the best CBD oil for sleep. You can read more about Altura’s manufacturing process here and shop for high quality, affordable CBD products here.